History of Fire District 5
In December of 1953 a group of men interested in a fire protection district met and formulated plans toward achieving that goal. After several preliminary meetings the following officers were elected. Harry A. Banke - President, Milton Minton - Vice President, Mrs. J.R. Ezell - Secretary, V.E. Mohler - Treasurer, Seth Marion, Joe Kurth and Charles Barber as board members, Joe Kurth was also elected as fire chief.
Donations were solicited in the proposed area for use in purchasing the necessary equipment.
In February of 1954 the first pumper was purchased at a cost of $1500.00 with additional equipment for use with this truck amounting to approximately $300.00. This pumper, stationed in Orchards, is operated on a voluntary basis by a crew of two men on night duty at the Fire Station and by business men near the station during the day.
In March 1954 an additional area consisting of approximately 10 square miles requested to be included in the proposed district and was granted.
The additional area made the acquisition of another pumper mandatory. It was purchased in April of 1954 at a cost of $1800.00 and is to be stationed on the manor Highway near Tracy Road. The funds for this truck were also raider by donations.
To provide operating capital the Ladies of the area gave a Ham and Salmon dinner at the Orchards Community Hall with a resultant net profit of $220.00.
I wish to take this opportunity to thank everyone who, either by contribution or personal effort, have helped in making this entire program a success.
We are now recognized as Fire Area No. 5 or District No. 5 operating at all times in cooperation with neighboring Districts.
We, the members of the Clark County Rural Fire District, wish to take this opportunity to express our sincere gratitude and appreciation, to our many friends and advertisers, whose generous support made this book (Clark County Rural Protection District 5 1954 Yearbook and Directory) possible.
To ask the people of our community to peruse the cards of those kind, generous business and professional men, who have recognized our worth while purpose and urgent need, and responded so liberally. Also to make it a point in their contacts with the business world. To remember these kind friends and tell them so.
- Harry A. Banke
* This history was written in 1954 by the first "President" of the Board of Fire Commissioners, Harry Banke as a forward to the "Clark County Rural Fire District No. 5 1954 Yearbook and Directory".